Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Getting Around

So you all probably think I'm getting to all these far flung places in Dhaka city by car. Wrong! I do some of my traveling by rickshaw, but the vast majority is by a vehicle called a "seengee". That's CNG for compressed natural gas. When we lived in Bangladesh in the 80's, they were baby taxis and ran on diesel, but the CNG's don't pollute as much. So, I am giving you a picture of a CNG - the passengers ride in the back and the driver sits in the front and drives with handlebars something like those of a motorcycle. And, I have uploaded a little video I took of a bit of one of my journeys that have ranged from half an hour to an hour and a half. The nice thing about a CNG is that the drivers are very skillful at maneuvering through traffic that includes cars, SUVs, buses, trucks, rickshaws, handcarts, and LOTS of pedestrians. You'll hear lots of horns, that's just everyone saying, "I'm coming through!" Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment