Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 7, 2010

My First Day at Work

Today I spent my first day at the office. I met with Rina and Sanjay who introduced me Sathi, which is one of CRWRC's partner organizations. Sathi has many programs dealing with all aspects of life including literacy, health, personal savings, interpersonal relationships, and business in five extremely poor areas in and around Dhaka city. The area that they would like me to concentrate on is the Adolescent Program. They would like me to help them evaluate the program and also to help update some of the materials. The two areas within the Adolescent Program that we will be concentrating on are HIV-Aids and Human Trafficking.

I spent the afternoon brainstorming the evaluation questions and studying the current materials. Tomorrow afternoon I will visit one of the field sites and talk to facilitators, peer educators, and adolescent participants about how the program is going and how they think it could be improved. While I am there I will be teaching an English lesson to the peer educators and hope at the same time that they will help me with my Bangla. I do find that I am understanding quite a bit of what is going on in Bangla, but would like to get to the point where I can once again hold my own in a conversation.

Another project that has been presented to me is to help develop Adolescent materials for Christian Youth. Because Christians are such a small minority here, it is easy for them to slip into the majority worldview, so we are hoping to put together some ideas for to help the youth develop a Christian worldview and to understand what that means in living their every day life and in making decisions. This project will extend beyond these four weeks that I will spend in Bangladesh, but is an area of interest.

I hope to take some pictures tomorrow and if I can figure out how to post them, you'll get to see what's going on tomorrow. 'Til then...

No comments:

Post a Comment