Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Deja Vu' All Over Again

Today is like deja vu' because a hartal has been called here in Dhaka. A hartal is a general strike. Practically it means that everything is closed and nobody goes anywhere, so after one day here, we are basically housebound. The strike has been called because the government wants to build a new, but unnecessary airport and the farmers whose land would be confiscated for that purpose are, understandably, not too pleased.

The upside is that I have an extra day to get myself together for my first Sunday School Teachers' Workshop which will be this coming Friday and Saturday. It will be held here in Dhaka and there will be 22 participants. I'm just finishing up the itinerary for it.

Tomorrow, Wednesday, and Thursday I will spend returning to visit the adolescent peer educators and programs that I worked with last year. It will be a chance for me to find out what has happened in the past year and if anything needs to be done to improve their program like new or revised lesson.

Being here is wonderful. It is rather warm, (though I won't complain knowing that my friends and family are suffering through snow and cold in Michigan) but we are loving being here and eagerly look forward to the tasks ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment