Total Pageviews

Friday, February 11, 2011

Three Days of Encouragement - Visits to the Adolescent Groups

Tuesday - My first day of visiting I went to visit the Tongi Adolescent Peer Educator group. I hadn't realized that I would have three hours with them and that they were expecting some kind of workshop. So Sanjay, who is Program Manager for SATHI and who had come along as my translator, and I had a quick conference and came up with a couple of questions for them to work on together in small groups. We asked them to think of the lessons that had been particularly meaningful to them, then to pick three of them and make plans on how they could share them with their larger community.
They came up with some very creative ideas including contacting their school to get permission to do a skit against early marriage (before 18 years old) during a school assembly, making posters to place in prominent places in the neighborhood showing the evil of dowry, and doing a skit in the street about keeping the public areas of the community clean after having cleaned an area themselves.
The plan is that they will actually though on their ideas, so that next year when I come back, they can report to me on how it went. I am looking forward to that already. Following are some pictures of the groups in action - working on their plans.







No comments:

Post a Comment